CUANM Job Opportunity: Vice President of Advocacy & Risk Mitigation
October 6th, 2021 by admin
Reports To: CEO
Date Revised: October 2021
General Job Summary
Function as the Credit Union Association of New Mexico’s (CUANM) coordinator of Governmental and Regulatory Affairs for New Mexico, the District of Columbia, and relevant regulatory agencies. Conduct research and analysis work, direct Association lobbying activities in the New Mexico Legislature, and federal delegations and regulatory bodies. Prepare reports, write articles for newsletters and other publications, and promote and conduct speaking engagements. Work closely with the regulatory, grassroots advocacy, political action fundraising and compliance support programs. This position has significant interaction with New Mexico credit union officials.
- Assist in developing industry-driven, proactive state, federal and state legislative and regulatory issues and agenda.
- Promote passage of CUANM legislative issues agenda in the NM State Legislature and US Congress.
- Monitor all legislation relevant to credit unions and engage in the process either proactively or defensively.
- Develop and maintain favorable relationships with lawmakers, regulators, and credit unions.
- Utilize various Association communication channels to inform and educate credit unions on important legislative issues.
- Directly manage the Association’s Political Action Committees (PAC) to ensure fundraising goals are met.
- Develop political involvement programs to elect credit union friendly candidates to public office.
- Keep senior management and the Board of Directors apprised of important developments through both written and oral reports.
- Act as CUANM Grassroots and Political Action Coordinator; responsible for developing and executing fundraising activities for both federal and state PACs; also responsible for initiating, activating, and managing comprehensive grassroots involvement of credit union activists in the advocacy process. This encompasses legislative, political, and regulatory initiatives.
- Liaison to NCUA, the Federal Reserve System, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and all other federal agencies that have regulation that impacts credit unions, as well as the office of the New Mexico Financial Institutions Division.
- Maintain a robust regulatory comment process.
- Brief credit unions, system affiliates, and other stakeholders regarding regulatory actions.
- Carry messages between our membership and agencies.
- Develop, manage, and deliver compliance-related information and services through the most effective channels in coordination with management.
- Recommend and execute enhancements to collaborative Association solutions to give member credit unions the most effective compliance tools.
- Conduct educational, and on-site training for credit unions as requested for board, committees, and staff regarding compliance and/or regulatory issues.
- Assist with Association’s Annual Meeting and Convention as directed by management.
- Represent CUANM in chapter and credit union events. Assist chapter officials in conducting Association sponsored activities to enhance the Association and Chapters over all images.
- Perform all other related duties and/or special projects as assigned.
Skills Required of all CUANM Staff Members:
- Adaptability – Willingness and ability to adapt to changing conditions through learning new duties and exploring new opportunities.
- Creativity/Innovation –Talent for finding new, better, and more efficient ways of doing things and for being imaginative, especially as it applies to lowering costs and improving services.
- Interpersonal Skills – The ability to generate co-worker cooperation built on mutual respect and understanding that fuels organization achievements.
- Initiative – Demonstrated ability to originate positive action and develop constructive ideas and suggestions with minimum guidance.
- Quality of Work – Ability to produce detail-oriented and highly-accurate work products that deliver the intended impact.
- Reliability – The ability to carry out multiple job requirements in a timely manner with a minimum of supervision.
- Teamwork – The ability to work effectively with others to achieve common goals demonstrated by a willingness to help others accomplish organization objectives.
- Verbal & Written Communication – The ability to develop and convey ideas clearly and concisely in oral and written form.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required. Legal degree preferred.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience with regulatory or federal/state legislative process either as a staff person with an elected official or association/lobbying firm.
- Ability to analyze and interpret legislation to determine possible effect on credit unions.
- Excellent organization skills and the ability to prioritize and effectively complete many multi-facetted, complex projects with conflicting deadlines while staying within budgetary constraints.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including effective public speaking and ability to present ideas in a clear, concise manner.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers in a team environment.
- Well versed in credit union and financial institution operations, laws, and regulations.
NOTE: The list of essential functions is not exhaustive. It may be supplemented as necessary from time to time.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Submit your cover letter and resume to Jobs@plexcity.org referencing this job title.